Effective Strategies for Changing Your Behavior to Reach Fitness Goals
When it comes to getting fit, it helps to pin down the specific goals you want to achieve every time you hit the gym or exercise at home. Once you’ve established those fitness goals then consider these strategies for staying on track and achieving success.
- Change one behavior at a time. Trying to accomplish too much too fast may set you up for failure. Replace one unhealthy behavior with a healthy behavior.
- Get support. Seek the services of a personal trainer, support group, or registered dietitian. You may need to meet periodically throughout your journey to keep on track and make progress.
- Make a realistic and specific plan. Be realistic and write down the days and times that work best for you to exercise.
- Start with small short-term goals. While your long-term goal may be to lose 25 pounds, breaking it down into a shorter goal will help you feel successful and motivated to continue.
- Use rewards. It’s important to recognize your accomplishments. Reward yourself when you reach a goal, with a movie or spa treatment instead of an unhealthy food item.
- Don’t get bored. Switch up your routine so you don’t get stuck in a rut. Try something new like a yoga class or martial arts lesson. Or if you walk or run, then try a different route to break up the monotony.
- Keep an exercise journal. Keep a journal where you can record your workouts. Download an app on your smartphone to keep track of this information.
- Learn how to be positive. Research has shown that being positive makes your brain more productive and helps eliminate stress.